Mum & Me, 1954

Mum & Me, 1954
Mum & Me, 1954

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Kerry Wright - 1961


Kerry Wright
1961

This portrait of me was taken in late 1961. I was in my final year at Narrabeen Lakes Primary School, prior to progressing to high school in 1962. I had just turned 12. 

I’m wearing my new high school uniform. That school’s motto, “Enitere ad Finem” (“Strive to the End”), is indelibly emblazoned upon my psyche, conjuring nightmare flashbacks of brutality, cruelty and wanton bastardization. I was repeatedly and systematically bullied, physically and psychologically, throughout my six years at Narrabeen Boys’ High School. Why? Probably because I was sensitive, artistic, gentle and caring. It didn’t help any that I had absolutely no interest in sport – a blasphemy in the eyes of my tormentors. 

But worst of all, I was pretty! The feral little thugs at my alma mater soon took to referring to me in the feminine gender, usually with accompanying kicks and punches and wails of derisive laughter, as I cowered and begged them to “Go away”. They travelled in packs, shrieking “Fu**ing poofter!” as they attacked. Somehow they seemed to know I was gay even before I did! 

Dad tried taking me to boxing lessons but I was far too timid to attend, so I simply had to accept my fate and “strive to the end” of those six hate-filled years as best I could. 

This all sounds like just another pathetic, self-indulgent, victim’s tale of woe, I know. It’s cringesome - even I can see that. Lots of kids were bullied at school, you’re thinking. Get over it and move on! But I’m simply recounting the facts here. I’m not looking for sympathy. This was my experience. Certainly, if nothing else, it taught me how to be internally tough and resilient. And it taught me how to survive.




2 comments:

  1. You forgot to add "brave" and "honourable" to the list of adjectives here, Kerry. Thank you so much for sharing this extremely personal insight of yourself. Hats off to you! Caz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Caz. Your feedback is muchly appreciated.

      Delete