Mum & Me, 1954

Mum & Me, 1954
Mum & Me, 1954

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dorothy Shiels & Kerry Wright - 1961


Dorothy Shiels & Kerry Wright
1961

Whilst recently conducting a major house clean, I came across this charming photo secreted within the pages of a book in my library. I’d forgotten I had it. It was taken at a family wedding reception at the grand old Australia Hotel (since demolished) in Martin Place, Sydney, in late 1961, just a couple of weeks after my twelfth birthday. With me is my cousin and godmother, Dorothy Cynthia Shiels nee Murrell (b.1923), who is the daughter of my mother’s sister, Gladys Murrell nee Glover. Yep, it’s true, I really do have a godmother named Dorothy. No wisecracks about Fairy Godmothers, please! (wink) Dorothy and I have always been very close and remain so to this day. We see each other regularly and our next such meeting will be on May 24, when we plan on making an excursion to the Art Gallery of New South Wales together. I’m so looking forward to it. It was Dorothy who first took me to the AGNSW when I was just a little boy, back in the 1950s. She was also the first to take me to live theatre and other assorted museums and galleries around town, here in Sydney. It’s Dorothy I have to thank for awaking in me my enduring love and interest in culture and the arts. My very own Auntie Mame! 


No comments:

Post a Comment