Mum & Me, 1954

Mum & Me, 1954
Mum & Me, 1954

Sunday, December 9, 2012

George Chamberlain - 1973


George Chamberlain
1973

In mid-1973 George moved to a cute little garden flat at 45 Cumberland Avenue, Collaroy. I have many happy memories from that time. 

Not long ago, I was driving through the Northern Beaches when, for no particular reason, I took an unplanned detour along Cumberland Avenue. I parked outside No.45 and looked down the side passage, which I knew led to the garden flat at the rear of the property. It had been nearly four decades since last I was there. 

For some reason I can’t explain, I experienced the most startling and totally unexpected emotional reaction. I sobbed my heart out, sitting there in the car on that glorious summer day. At the time, I couldn’t quite understand why I had reacted as I did. Certainly, I was not experiencing any feelings of sadness. I now believe they were tears of joy for all the happy times George and I shared there, so very long ago. 

This photo shows George in the garden at No.45. The owner of the house was the elderly Australian artist, Mavis Dawson, who painted under her maiden name, Mavis Mallinson. Hanging in George’s garden flat was Mrs Dawson’s painting, “The Doomed Castle”. Its charming depiction of mermaids frolicking amidst a storm-tossed sea absolutely enchanted me and when George and I moved to an apartment at nearby Dee Why in 1974, I purchased the painting from Mrs Dawson as a keepsake. “The Doomed Castle” is with me still and always will be. It is one of my most treasured possessions:

"The Doomed Castle"
by Mavis Mallinson





6 comments:

  1. Excellent content - as you always provide and inspire me to come again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mavis Mallinson was my Grandma!
    I remember the house at Collaroy very well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had a lovely Grandma. I remember her well and have a photo of her somewhere, showing her in the back garden at 45 Cumberland Avenue, hosing the hydrangeas. I remember how much she loved the operatic tenor voice - we often heard her playing her LPs. And she was a great champion of Australia's indigenous peoples, long before it became on trend - the screen door on her front door had an aboriginal motif. Ah, the memories. It was lovely to hear from you. You've brought back many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry dear,

    I'd almost forgotten the screen door! I remember it now, though!

    Yes, Grandma was absolutely fascinated with Aboriginal culture. It had a great influence on her art, particularly the legends.

    I loved the garden flat particularly (and the gardens out the back). It was very cosy.
    I would only have been small when you were around ( I was born in 1970), but I too have memories of it being a very special place.

    How amazing to have found you: I was feeling nostalgic and Googled my Grandma's name and Cumberland Avenue, and there you were!

    Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. The internet is, indeed, a wonderous resource. Though I never lived at Cumberland Avenue myself, my dear friend George did live there for much of 1973. We were then both 23. George hadn't long been out of the RAN and I was living with my parents at Dee Why at the time. I spent more time with George at No.45 that year, than I did at home. And George and I moved into our first flat together in 1974. We are still friends to this day - both of us now 66. I remember Mrs Dawson's family visiting her, though I never met them myself. We could hear you up above! George and I always called your Grandma Mrs Dawson. She once explained to me that she started painting before she was married, so continue using her maiden name professionally when signing her paintings. Your Grandma's painting "The Doomed Castle" hung in the garden flat. I loved it and offered to buy it from your Grandma when George and I moved. She responded that she had recently exhibited it and that the price was on the back. She said she would be happy to sell it to me for that price. And the rest is history. It continues to hang in my home to this very day. It is one of my most treasured possessions, because it reminds me of such a happy time in my life.

    ReplyDelete