Mum & Me, 1954

Mum & Me, 1954
Mum & Me, 1954

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Louise Mary Glover - 1930s



Louisa Mary Glover - 1930s 

I'm not exactly sure when this photo of my maternal grandmother, Louisa Mary (May) Glover, was taken. I do so wish some-one would have recorded the dates on all these family photos! Alas, nobody seems to have bothered to do so. What I do know, however, is where the photo was taken, because the house's name plaque can be seen behind Nanny. The name of the house was "Cooinda", at 1224 Pittwater Road, Narrabeen, in Sydney. It was the Glover family home when they first moved to Narrabeen from Crows Nest in the 1920s. I can't say why Nanny is carrying a suitcase. My maternal grandparents holidayed at Bundanoon in the Southern Highlands each year, and this photo may be capturing Nanny's departure on holiday. Bundanoon was a popular holiday destination with Sydneysiders at that time. Another clue as to the date may be the presence of the child behind Nanny. It looks to be Dad's daughter, Kathy, (from his first marriage to Gwen Hunt who died in childbirth) who was 8 when she died in a road accident in 1936.

No comments:

Post a Comment