Mum & Me, 1954

Mum & Me, 1954
Mum & Me, 1954

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Robert & Kerry Wright - 1950


L-R: Robert Wright & Kerry Wright
1950

This humble, poorly focused family photo carries an enormous emotional impact for me. It shows my brother, Robert, cradling me in his arms. His radiant smile beams from the image, traversing the years and warming the heart. I have three older brothers, yet have little recollection of any of their presence during my childhood. It means a great deal to me, therefore, to see this beautiful photo of Robert and I together. Robert was 12 when this photo was taken in the front yard of our home at 10 Mactier Street, Narrabeen, on Sydney's Northern Beaches. He was conscripted into National Service six years later at age 18 and left home to make his own way in life following that. He moved away and distanced himself from the family. I don't know why but have my suspicions. He died of a cerebral haemorrhage in 1982 at the early age of 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment